Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Net Generation Goes to College

Hi 07S6E students,

This is my maiden post here and let me first start by saying this is one very impressive blog. I was wondering how I might be able to contribute to the culture in this blog, as all blogs have their own cultures.

So I have decided to follow my comparative advantage =) and post an article here that I think would be relevant as well as interesting to all of you. From my lecturing as well as teaching experience at HCI during these few months, I can tell that many of the IP students are not too used to this "lecture" style of teaching where you are expected to sit down for an hour or more and just listen to the lecturer droning on and on and on hehe.

Let me just reassure all of you I am aware that there is a certain kind of clash between the "A level" style of teaching and this new generation of students, that is you. This post links to an article that I was hoping you guys would read and comment on.

To help you get started, here are some basic questions you could address in your comments:
  1. How far does the "Net generation" learning style mentioned in that article applies to you personally?
  2. Do you think the current "A level" style of examination allow us teachers to deviate too far from the standard teaching style of lectures and tutorials? Why or why not?
  3. How might a compromise be reached between the current teaching and your personal learning style? One that will satisfy all stakeholders? (Stakeholders here could include teachers and yourself, parents, the employers, the universities, and of course, the government)

Please feel free to discuss any other issues that are not highlighted above. Of course, there is no right or wrong answers here. For the IP boys, I am sure you have had experience with Mr Hon for he likes to bring questions like these for discussion during the individual year assemblies. I like that style of his and this discussion is along the same vein.

Here is the article again for discussion, in case the above link fails

http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i07/07a03401.htm

Regards,

Mr Tan

Kelvin Tan loves s6E. 10:55 AM